Alain van Gool
Professor Personalized Healthcare, Head Translational Metabolic Laboratory
Radboud university medical center
Alain van Gool is professor Personalized Healthcare and heads the Translational Metabolic Laboratory at the Radboud university medical center, with a strong passion in the application of biomarkers in translational medicine and personalized healthcare. His professional background since 1991 is a mix of academia, pharmaceutical industry, applied research institutes, university medical centers. He has been leading technology-based biomarker laboratories, cross-functional expert teams, therapeutic project teams and public-private consortia, many of which were focused on the discovery, development and implementation of translational biomarkers in a variety of therapeutic areas. His technical expertise resides most strongly in molecular profiling (various Omics approaches), analytical biomarker development, and applications in translational scientific research.
Alain is a strong believer of open innovation networks and thrives to work with specialists to translate basic research to applied science. With that background, he currently also acts as strategic advisor to the executive board of Radboudumc, coordinates the Radboudumc Technology Centers, is Scientific Lead Technologies of DTL (the Dutch Techcenter for Life Sciences), is co-initiator of Health-RI (the Netherlands Personalized Medicine and Health Research Infrastructure), is coordinator of the Netherlands X-omics Initiative and Chair Biomarker Platform of EATRIS (the European infrastructure for Translational Medicine), thus contributing to the organisation and coordination of local, national and European technology infrastructures. Complementing his daily work, he enjoys contributing to several scientific advisory boards, grant review panels and editorial boards of scientific journals.
* extended details on affiliations and roles
Prof Alain van Gool PhD
– Professor Personalized Healthcare, Radboud university medical center (www.radboudumc.nl)
– Head Translational Metabolic Laboratory, Radboudumc
– Coordinator Radboudumc Technology Centers, Radboudumc (www.radboudumc.nl/research/technologycenters)
– Scientific Lead Technologies DTL – Dutch Techcenter for Life Sciences. (www.dtls.nl)
– Co-initiator Health-RI, the Dutch infrastructure for personalized medicine and health research (www.health-ri.org)
– Coordinator and PI of the Netherlands X-omics Initiative (www.x-omics.nl)
– Chair Biomarker Platform EATRIS – The European Infrastructure for Translational Medicine. (www.eatris.eu)